CLIMATE CHANGE SCIENTISTS’ “CLEAN” LITTLE SECRET is actually a dirty BIG secret that could be making GLOBAL WARMING much worse, much faster! Since I first published this article many years ago, I have tried sharing it with that community and world leaders. With almost no response, I wondered why. So when making little updates, I had renamed this from Death Warmed Over to Deaf Warmed Over.
Finally, recent public disclosures by a regarded Harvard professor and others have confirmed my suspicions, so I’ve retitled it again. He and others say there are those within his sphere of influence who have intentionally suppressed the urge to tell the whole truth. This omission has led to a dangerously unbalanced approach to correcting a collapsing atmosphere.
Here’s a link to a more complete summary by David Keith as broadcast on CBS. Without neglecting the earlier information in the segment, please pay particular attention to his comments starting around the 6:40 minute mark:
If you happen to deny the other global warming alerts from that community based on cynicism, I hear you, as these current information sources have certainly earned our skepticism. For me, they have earned my anger, as their arrogance could be the quick end of life as we know it, sooner than they have predicted, due mainly from their withholding this critical piece of the puzzle.
They might defend their past positions by stating that we needed to concentrate foremost if not exclusively on reducing greenhouse gases, but I beg you to challenge their deadly error. The following is my review of the big picture, which is looking pretty bleak as long as the powers to be continue their lop sided approach, a path to destruction. I also offer at least one solution to the problem, but I can’t do it alone. Your understanding and voice is desperately needed, now!
Among the neglected solutions to global warming, "out of this world" might best describe spraying fine particles into orbit to shade our planet. I call this general concept Aerospace Reflective Mitigation Science. Regardless of your particular views on climate change, please consider these "down to earth" reasons for developing ARMS with urgency and care, while pursuing robust CO2 reduction andremoval efforts. I'm asking for you to both understand and support my favorite solution using SODA LIME.
A fading yet lingering notion is that we are not witnessing man-made effects, but rather natural forces at work. But if this is no different than ancient temperature swings on our planet, how can we deny that another natural catastrophe looms just ahead? Let's first reflect on a few examples of well documented natural events.
Global cooling has been attributed to global shading (AKA dimming), such as caused by volcanoes and asteroids spewing mountains of shading aerosol particulates into the atmosphere. Conversely, Greenland ice core samples from over ten thousand years ago indicate that Earth's temperature rose 22°F in just fifty years! These things can just happen without our meddling.
Whether we're warmed by monster solar storms, a supernova, or some other natural event, shouldn't we prepare a cautious yet serious ARMS response to such infrequent killers? Even if you currently disagree with the premise of man-made climate change, please feel welcome into a family with differing views, but a common bond of ARMS. When it's needed, we don't want a rush job that creates more unintended consequences.
Many believe that excess CO2 and methane gases act as additional layers of clear insulation, much like a swimming pool cover that retains heat. This changes our weather and ocean patterns, which in turn kill the vegetation and aquatic life that consume CO2 naturally. This gaseous pool cover stubbornly remains aloft for decades, eventually warming the planet enough to release super-insulating methane gases from Arctic Ocean floors. This super-sized pool cover then becomes our death shroud.
We must appreciate the potential side effect of removing toxic particulate pollution from our car exhausts and smoke stacks to reduce those health hazards. This also reduces global shading and as more light shines through, instant warming occurs. Have decades of better emission standards already accelerated this adverse effect? Are we now worsening our situation by contributing more of the insulating gases, at a higher ratio, into otherwise clearing skies?
Altitude matters. Black carbon (soot) from jet airplane exhaust can shade and cool us below, until it makes its way back down to low altitude, where it joins outputs from other polluters (fossil fuel electric plants, factories, coal and forest fires, etc.). Some estimate that over 15% of all global warming is from this lower soot and about as much is from methane. Nearly half may be attributed to excess CO2.
Now consider the days immediately following 9/11. Landfills didn't leak methane at a higher rate and coal fueled power plants didn't emit more soot or CO2 than usual. If anything, the slight reduction of commerce and traffic should have provided a window for cooling, and yet the opposite occurred. When most American jet traffic abruptly halted, the skies instantly cleared and the temperature rose 2°F! In addition to emitting exhaust particultes, jets also create vortices.Altitude matters.
The unintended consequence of cleaner energy may be overwhelming our marginal efforts to consume excess CO2. While healthier oceans and greener landscapes are a necessity, they may not be enough, soon enough, to offset this oversight. As solar, wind, and other new technologies replace airborne particulate polluters, we must mitigate the added heat retention from a clearer atmosphere still laden with extra CO2. And those of us who reject the concept of man-made global warming should prepare for inevitable natural changes, anyway.
We must therefore elevate ARMS research from a fantastical status to an applied science. How about a geosynchronous test strip, sprayed far above a U.S. bombing range, to measure efficacy, duration, drift, dissipation, and residual pollution risks? And doesn't the pool cover known as greenhouse gas sound deceptively healthy? In that too high a concentration of any gas is lethal, why not call it what it is? Death gas.
1) ARMS should be carefully developed for an instant response to catastrophic cosmic events which will occur again.
2) ARMS is needed to offset global warming as currently projected.
3) ARMS may also be needed to offset CRB (Carbon Reduction Backlash), an accelerated reduction of shading particulate pollution while clear, insulating death gases hang over us for decades.
Suggested Research Projects
1) Which CO2 removal methods (CDR) show enough promise for immediate implementation? How do we reverse deforestation and ocean pollution? Is natural mineral conversion (i.e. limestone) a viable option?
2) Do floating plastic debris and soot increase ocean surface temperatures, evaporation, and weather energization? Do fine soot particles in snow accelerate ice melt?
3) What percentage of soot from smoke stacks or fires is carried high aloft to produce some temporary cooling effect like jet exhaust?
4) What ratio of high altitude soot to low soot creates no significant net temperature change at the surface (i.e. 1 part high : Xparts low)? What altitude range seems to be the transition point for soot cooling vs. warming?
5) Why is soot such a bad pollutant? Which reflective particles are among the best candidates for ARMS application, creating no toxic pollution effects, adverse weather changes, satellite interference, or collision risks?
6) How has the increase of natural gas extraction also increased the release of warming methane gas?
7) Can spraying soda lime or other particulates into the atmosphere provide both temporary reflecting/shading AND CO2 binding, eventually returning to earth as a limestone type of dust? Will commercial airlines be mandated to dispense ultra fine shading particulates on all routes over 27,000 feet?